2.26.2009

Thursday Text: Barack & Michelle

I found the text for today in the recent Vogue article on Michelle Obama. When I watched the Obamas at the inaugural ball, I thought it was the cutest thing - and this quote, I think, really captures what can be so great about marriage.

"I'm extremely happy with her," he told Mariana Cook in a 1996 interview with the couple recently published in The New Yorker, "and part of it has to do with the fact that she is at once familiar to me, so that I can be myself and she knows me very well and I trust her completely, but at the same time she is also a complete mystery to me in some ways. ...It's that tension between familiarity and mystery that makes for something strong, because even as you build a life of trust and comfort and mutual support, you retain some sense of surprise or wonder about the other person."

2 comments:

dani said...

i love this quote! sara loves the peony bookplate. looks at it all the time.

ANNE said...

Thanks for posting and including Sara! I hope the little sicky-poo gets better soon.