2.13.2009

Friday Featured Art: 1904 St. Louis World's Fair Poster

The 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis, also known as the Louisiana Purchase Exposition, was an almost unfathomable event. It covered acres and acres and took place over months, and I'll have to post more about it at a later date. For now I want to draw attention to the famous poster for the exposition, designed by Alphonse Mucha. He was a prominent figure in the art nouveau style that was popular at the turn of the century. I find the intricate designs and elaborate draping really interesting. I got a copy of this poster at the Missouri History Museum in St. Louis, on the site of the World's Fair, and I think that I will always love it.

2 comments:

dani said...

i love this! i love the history of it. also i love ethe quote below and think it is so romantic that tony sent you those quotes....

Anonymous said...

I am very jealous of your poster--but it wouldn't mean the same for me to have one. I'm glad you have it.