12.08.2008

Sinterklaas

Friday was December 5, which is significant because it was St. Nicholas Eve - the day when the Dutch celebrate Sinterklaas. Children receive gifts in their shoes that they have left out, and often the last gift of St. Nicholas Eve is a chocolate initial representing their name. I love this idea! (I love all things monogrammed...) At Dutch bakeries, you often find pastry letters, and, from the painting below, it appears that this tradition has lasted at least 400 years. I think I would really like the modern Droste version. (Indeed, I'll have to post more about Droste later!)



3 comments:

dani said...

you are so knowledgable, i don't think i even spelled that right, thanks for this post, i LOVED it!

ANNE said...

I was glad that you reminded me about treats in your shoes. I didn't want to dust mine off, though, so we just had treats in a bowl. Yum!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad we're Dutch and I'm glad we like monogrammed things so much. It's in our genetic coding. I'm excited for your visit!