3.11.2010

Thursday Text: Sonnet LXXXIX

The text of one of the Nocturnes by Morten Lauridsen is from Pablo Neruda's Sonnet LXXXIX. It really moved me when I heard it.

When I die, I want your hands upon my eyes:
I want the light and the wheat of your beloved hands
to pass their freshness over me one more time:
I want to feel the gentleness that changed my destiny.

I want you to live while I wait for you, asleep,
I want your ears to still hear the wind,
I want you to smell the scent of the sea we both loved,
and to continue walking on the sand we walked on.

I want all that I love to keep on living,
and you whom I loved and sang above all things
to keep flowering into full bloom,

so that you can touch all that my love provides you,
so that my shadow may pass over your hair,
so that all may know the reason for my song.

2 comments:

sara said...

What a better perspective than I have. I like that. Also, you need to see Open Space in real life. The colors are really perfect.

ANNE said...

I think I had kind of mixed feelings about it at first, but in the end I decided that I do like it.