11.11.2008

Sisters

As you know from a previous post, I really like the pre-Raphaelites. Dante Gabriel Rossetti (who did the painting below) had a sister named Christina who was a poet. We studied her a bit in my British Literature class in college, and one poem stuck out to me. Don't look it up because you probably won't fully understand or like the poem, but the last stanza is worth noting. I have four sisters, so this is for them:

For there is no friend like a sister
In calm or stormy weather;
To cheer one on the tedious way,
To fetch one if one goes astray,
To lift one if one totters down,
To strengthen whilst one stands.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like sisters. I want to be the one running through the grass. Or one of the ones dancing.

dani said...

so anne...i told sara that i love your family of sisters. you guys have such funny stories of growing up, (the red head hottie) and on hallowe'en you all trick or treat together. i love that. i really do. sisters are the best.

ANNE said...

It took a while for me to notice the one running through the grass - so there really are five! A family of sisters really is fun. No trick-or-treating for me way out here in Missourah, though. Frown.

Cathe Holden said...

That is so beautiful!

As far as Sister Week, I made up "Hug Your Sister Week" on my blog to honor my late big sister for the whole week up until her birthday, which is today. Thank you for sharing this wonderful poem and illustration.

ANNE said...

Happy birthday to your sister, Cathe! It's always good to reflect on how our lives are made better by our sisters.