5.20.2010

Thursday Text: John Anderson, My Jo

The Sunday Philosophy Club by Alexander McCall Smith (that I recently finished) contained many references to music, poetry, and art. One of the poems that was mentioned was John Anderson, My Jo by Robert Burns. It's a nice poem about friendship - if you can figure out all of the Scottish words!
JOHN ANDERSON my jo, John,
When we were first acquent,
Your locks were like the raven,
Your bonnie brow was brent;
But now your brow is beld, John,
Your locks are like the snaw,
but blessings on your frosty pow,
John Anderson, my jo!

John Anderson my jo, John,
We clamb the hill thegither,
And mony a canty day, John,
We've had wi' ane anither;
Now we maun totter down, John,
But hand in hand we'll go,
And sleep thegither at the foot,
John Anderson, my jo!

1 comment:

Beth Northrop said...

How fun! What is the exact meaning of cant day? Interesting choice of poetry.