4.28.2010

The Flowers of the Fields of France

A week or so ago I attended at lecture at NIU given by Christopher Breward, Head of Research at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. He talked about British design from 1948-2012. They are preparing an exhibit that will run during the London Olympics in 2012. It was a fascinating discussion. Here is one of the items that may be on display for the exhibit: a state evening dress worn by Queen Elizabeth II on a visit to Paris in 1957. It's called "The Flowers of the Fields of France." Lovely.

2 comments:

Beth Northrop said...

So I did some looking to see if I could find a picture of the queen in this dress. I couldn't find anything. In fact, I found an article that said, "Still, more context from accompanying photos or sketches would be appreciated. A Norman Hartwell gown made for Queen Elizabeth II for a state visit to Paris in 1957 is lovingly embroidered with flowers from the fields of France. Surely, photographs or news reels of that visit exist." I guess I'm not the only one having trouble finding that picture.

ANNE said...

That is really weird! I can't remember if the guy from the V&A showed one or not...