7.18.2008

Elbert Hubbard

I came across this quote typed on a piece of paper and framed in John Bothwell's room at the Bothwell Lodge State Historic Site in Sedalia, Missouri. Mr. Bothwell built the lodge and lived in it during the early part of the 1900s. I can understand his appreciation for Elbert Hubbard's words.

"Life in Abundance"

The supreme prayer of my heart is not to be learned or "good," but to be Radiant.

I desire to radiate health, cheerfulness, sincerity, calm courage and good-will.

I wish to be simple, honest, natural, frank, clean in mind and clean in body, unaffected--ready to say, "I do not know," if so it be, to meet all men on an absolute equality--to face any obstacle and meet every difficulty unafraid and unabashed.

I wish others to live their lives, too, up to their highest, fullest and best. To that end I pray that I may never meddle, dictate, interfere, give advice that is not wanted, nor assist when my services are not needed. If I can help people I'll do it by giving them a chance to help themselves; and if I can uplift or inspire, let it be by example, inference and suggestion, rather than by injunction and dictation. That is to say, I desire to be Radiant--to Radiate Life.

-Elbert Hubbard, from A Message to Garcia

No comments: